Developers (#1) - Feasable to borrow code? (#115) - Message List

Feasable to borrow code?

Would it be feasible to borrow code from another Open Source email client?

Searching for BB email clients lead to LogicMail and: my.funambol.com . Am giving their 90 day trial a go and the email client is stated to be some form of Open software (www.forge.funambol.org). Only down side is the requirement to use a server and doesn't officially support wifi (still works though). Perhaps it is possible to use bits of the software, or take inspiration from .

• Message #327

Could I take inspiration from it? Sure. Can I use code from it? Not exactly. You see, according to the  licensing page, Funambol uses a GPL-derived license. LogicMail uses a BSD-style license. What that essentially means is that Funambol can use LogicMail code, but not the reverse. (unless I change my license)

I do periodically wonder which is the better license for a project like this. But since I want this project to also be a large library of usable BlackBerry example code, going GPL would make my code unusable by any non-GPL project.

• Message #334

Hello I am new and just downloaded logic mail, and I am trying to set it up but I am not getting the setup page instructions because I am not familiar with setting up this type program. My problem is I don't know the information I should put in to set it up, my phone is 8350i blackberry, could someone please send me step by step instructions as to how to do this, please.

thank you

Subscriptions

Moderation