Open Discussion (#3) - Alerts Filter (#146) - Message List

Alerts Filter

I receive a lot of email. Some of it is more urgent than others. I'd like to see some kind of filter in LM that will look for different pieces of info. Maybe a specific header has a certain value (that my server would add via filters).

Then instead of one single Logicmail alert section in the Sound Profile editor, we could have "Logicmail <filtername>". So that when important messages arrive I'm notified.

As it is now, I have to choose between NO alerts and alerts for EVERY message. It's annoying to have these alerts every few minutes only to find out that it's a message from my bank telling me that my estatement is available.

EDIT: and then there is the Spam folder. When messages arrive in THAT FOLDER, I definitely don't want to hear any alerts--but when message arrive there, I do want the folder status to acknowledge there's a new message. I need to check to be sure it really is spam and not a false spam.

Thanks.

• Message #426

LogicMail currently doesn't have the code to maintain a connection to the server long-term, so none of these details make sense to implement just yet. You're just lucky in that you're using LogicMail on a very stable Internet connection. Its probably best to just disable notifications until I get that bit implemented.

However, some discussion on how to handle automatic server-checking and notification is probably and good idea. With POP, its just a single INBOX that's locked while you're connected (and doesn't get updated until you disconnect/reconnect), so I'm guessing that you use IMAP.

With IMAP, a single network connection can only monitor a single folder at a time. Right now its whatever folder you looked at last, or back to the INBOX if LogicMail sits idle for a couple minutes (I think). So if I just idle on the server for a long time, LogicMail will just get INBOX updates. But I can make it deliberately check other folders from time to time, assuming we can come up with a good way to design that.

FYI, Mozilla Thunderbird does this very badly. Every time you click on a different folder, it opens a new server connection. It then gets new messages on that connection as they come in. But whenever that connection dies (unless its the INBOX), it usually doesn't re-open it.

Once new messages come in, of course, there's also the discussion over how to handle them, what silences them, etc.

And finally, there's the BlackBerry home screen notification icons (on OS 4.6+). I can basically show a single icon, and a single number. Its obviously not clear what number to show.

• Message #427

I can see your point of not being able to monitor more than one folder--that's a problem I never thought of.

I don't know a whole lot about the IMAP protocol but does it allow you to query the number of unseen messages in folders without having to actually process those messages? Maybe a small list of folders could be maintained and those folders can be marked with the unread message count. When the spam folder shows a count greater than 1, I'd know I need to check it--like I said, I don't want an audible alert for this (or a vibrate).

And I assume that the filter suggestion wouldn't make it into the 1.9.x builds but I'm hoping it can be put on the list for 2.0 or maybe 2.1.

But all-in-all, I'm very pleased/impressed with this version.

Thanks for your efforts!

• Message #430

I don't know a whole lot about the IMAP protocol but does it allow you to query the number of unseen messages in folders without having to actually process those messages?

Yes, it most certainly does. This is exactly what the "Refresh status" menu option on the app's main screen does. Adding that to the short list of cleanup operations that IMAP does every 5 minutes, when connected, would not be that difficult. This all feeds whatever design I ultimately come up with for the "always run in the background" piece, as I work out all the nuances involved.

And I assume that the filter suggestion wouldn't make it into the 1.9.x builds but I'm hoping it can be put on the list for 2.0 or maybe 2.1.

The 1.9.1.x builds are basically the development code that will eventually become 2.0. The real question is what will get into 2.0, and what will get pushed to 2.1. I originally considered "always run in the background and poll the server" to be the top must-have feature for 2.0. However, I've had to put in so much work to get from 1.0 to where we are now, that 2.0 will be delayed for far too long if I stick to that. As much as the users will hate me for it, I keep considering pushing that off to 2.1. (Its a simple feature in theory, but a horribly complex one once you start thinking about all the aspects of it, things someone might want to configure, error conditions that might pop up, etc, etc.)

I think the biggest issue at this point is that the "official release" version is now years out of date and unmaintained. This is why I really want to get everyone stepped up to the latest code base, even if it doesn't yet have all the must-have features.

Subscriptions

Moderation