Ticket #307 (closed Bugs: fixed)

Opened 9 years ago

Last modified 8 years ago

2.0.0.268 - Application not responding after some minutes

Reported by: franc Owned by: octorian
Priority: major Milestone: 2.0
Component: LogicMail Version: 2.0.0
Keywords: Cc:
Blocked By: Blocking:

Description

After the update from 2.0.0.258 to 268 there is a bug:

After opening LM and checking Mail in an IMAP account, which works normal, after some minutes LM is not responding anymore. LM is killed then from the OS with a "Application not responding"-Error. After downgrading to 2.0.0.258 the behaviour is normal again.

Tested on a BlackBerry 8900 Curve on OS 5.0.0.1036 with Wifi enabled.

Change History

comment:1 Changed 8 years ago by octo

Please provide some more detail so I can try to reproduce this issue. The following bits of information can help:

  • What mail service, or mail server software, was being used? (and is it something I can personally test with?)
  • You said WiFi was enabled. Was the phone actually connected to WiFi at the time this happened? (Or was this going over the phone carrier network?)
  • Were you actively using the application when this happened? If so, what were you doing?
  • Was anything happening on your mail account at the time, that was not caused by LogicMail use? (e.g. new messages arriving, messages being deleted/expunged, message flags being set, etc.)

comment:2 Changed 8 years ago by franc

Now i reinstalled 268 to test it again. The answers to your questions:

I am using IMAP on my own mail server with Dovecot 1.0.10 (and postfix 2.5.1) running on it. I have no problems with IMAP on Googlemail even after an idle time of 5 minutes!!!

I am using Wifi connection, but i have the same issue with the phone carrier network (wifi disabled).

I don't use the phone when the problem occured.

There is no activity on the IMAP account at the same time, no other client connected to the IMAP-account at this time.

I can reproduce the bug like this:

I open LogicMail, open my IMAP-account and the new mails are shown correctly in the INBOX-list. Now i wait 3 minutes, doing nothing and open a mail in the INBOX. It is shown in the status-bar: "Load message..." (to be correct, it is: "Lade Nachricht...", as it is german). But nothing happens, the message is never loaded. Now i try to close LM and I get the messagebox (if i really want to close LM and close all connections) but even with "Yes", i have the same text in the statusbar and nothing happens. LM hangs and after 3 minutes and 30 seconds i get:

"Uncaught exception: Application LogicMail (258) is not responding; process terminated"

from my OS. And if I used Googlemail IMAP for a while (with no problems) and reopen later my own IMAP account, LM will hang as well.

So obviously the "bug" is in combination with my own server. Maybe some misconfiguration there? In the dovecot logfile i cannot see any entry when i try to open a mail after the 3 minutes and when i get the problem. I just see a normal login entry in the dovecot log, when i first log in with LM. And i have no problems with all other clients using IMAP on my server, and all my customers using my mailserver have neither.

Last edited 8 years ago by franc (previous) (diff)

comment:3 Changed 8 years ago by octo

Its times like this that I'm glad I have a half-dozen different IMAP/POP servers installed in a VirtualBox OpenBSD image. Was very easy to reproduce this with the debugger attached, so you're in luck.

The freeze on shutdown might be covered by #285, but that's not the real issue.

The real issue is that Dovecot's IDLE behavior looks like this:

A15 IDLE
+ idling
* OK Still here

More specifically, Dovecot sends that untagged asterisk-prefixed response as a keepalive, which no other mail servers (that I've tested on) appear to do. Normally that response would start with a number (e.g. "5 EXISTS"), so its a simple parse bug in my code where I assumed the line would start with a number. This shouldn't take too long to fix.

comment:4 Changed 8 years ago by octorian

  • Owner set to octorian
  • Status changed from new to closed
  • Resolution set to fixed

In [847]:

Fixed bug where IMAP untagged response handling would throw an exception if an untagged response began with a non-numerical value. (fixes #307)

Note: See TracTickets for help on using tickets.